Tuesday, April 7, 2015

#StandWithRand

 To rescue a great country now adrift, join me as together we seek a new vision for America. Today I announce with God’s help, with the help of liberty lovers everywhere, that I am putting myself forward as a candidate for president of the United States of America.-Rand Paul

Today, I believe, is a great and historic day.

Today Rand Paul formally announced he is running for President of the United States.

The announcement comes as no surprise to those who have been paying attention to Paul's recent actions.  Regardless, it is a landmark announcement, and I will long remember April 7th, 2015.

I was born in 1994.  For the first six years of my life, Clinton was in office.  I don't personally recall anything that he did, but I do recall that conservatives all sighed with relief when he left the white house and a Republican named Bush was elected.  But then came 9/11, and with it the PATRIOT act, the War on Terror, increased debt... and for eight years I watched as liberty was sacrificed over and over for so-called safety.

Then came 2008.  People were sick of the way the country was going, and for good reason.  The "conservative" president had failed them, and so they rallied behind a man who promised to take Washington in a new direction, to give them the hope and change they wanted.  But alas, this direction, while slightly "new" in focus and pace, was one which only carried us even further down the path to an America where freedom is trampled.

Clinton, Bush, Obama... they have all taken my country further and further down the path of tyranny.  They have expanded unconstitutional aspects of government, sunk us into deeper and deeper debt.  We are taxed beyond reason, spied upon, lied to, and ignored in-between election seasons.

There is no question about it: Washington is broken.

But on March 6th, 2013, I gained a new hope for our country as I watched Rand Paul and others speak for hours in a filibuster for freedom.  For the first time in a long time, there was a light visible at the end of the tunnel.  The hashtag #StandWithRand went viral, and it's still being used to this day. 



Just this past October I had the opportunity to attend an event where Rand Paul was an honored guest.  Technically the rally was for various Kansans seeking office in the 2014 elections, but it was obvious that Rand Paul was the one drawing the crowd.  He was the man the other candidates wished to be seen with.  As the months passed it became more and more obvious that Rand Paul was not only a leader for freedom, but that he had political savvy and know-how.

Do I agree with him on every single issue?  No, but I am convinced that he has both a true love for liberty and a solid grasp of what a Constitutional government looks like.  

We have come to take our country back from the special interests that use Washington as their personal piggy bank, the special interests that are more concerned with their personal welfare than the general welfare.
The Washington machine that gobbles up our freedoms and invades every nook and cranny of our lives must be stopped.
His announcement today is one which I have long looked forward to and which I am excited to witness.   I am thrilled to the point of giddiness at the prospect of having a man like him to campaign for, and I have every hope that 2016 will be a landmark year for our country.


No comments:

Post a Comment