Monday, February 18, 2013

The Pig

Down here in the land of all things Southern, there is a chain of grocery stores bearing the name “Piggly Wiggly”.
Now, I’m not sure who came up with this rather unique name.  While it might not be the sort of name I’d give a grocery store, I can say naught against it, especially when I review the incredibly boring names I tend to choose.  However, I do wish to complain about the fact that almost no one actually calls the store, Piggly Wiggly.
No, they’ve shortened the name down to The Pig.
And then without thinking, they say things which… frankly, are slightly disturbing.   (That’s an understatement.)
“I’m fixin’ ta git some milk from The Pig.”
“Let’s go git some beef.  From The Pig.”
“I’ll just run an’ pick up some eggs from The Pig.”
Seriously, people?  Don’t you realize how that sounds?  Don’t you realize how disturbing this is to those who don’t automatically know that “The Pig” refers to a grocery store?
Please, stop.  Unless you’re going to buy bacon there, please don’t refer to it as “The Pig”.  Just… don’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment