Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012

I don’t feel that it should be the end of 2012.  This year has flown by at an incredible speed, and I can’t avoid the niggling impression that it ought to be longer.  A year isn’t supposed to be this short, is it?  But nevertheless, here we are at the second-to-last day of the year, with approximately 32 hours left before 2013 begins.
Something about this time of year always makes me somewhat reflective, and I tend to slow down and look back over the past, trying to recall all that has occurred in the past twelve months, trying to remember how these hours and moments and days were spent.
I suppose it’s a natural inclination, as the ending of a year reminds me afresh of the fact that I’ll never be able to re-spend my time; I only have one chance to invest it correctly.  When I make an error in sewing, I can pull out the stitches and re-do the project again.  I can’t do that with my time.  It is impossible to go back, to change what I’ve done with it.
Thinking back over this too-short year, seeking to recall where all those hours went – it reminds me of how fleeting life is.  How short, in comparison with eternity, our time really is.
“[As for] man, his days [are] as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.
For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
But the mercy of the LORD [is] from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children’s children;
To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.”  -Psalm 103:15-18
2013 will hold another 365 days.  May God grant us the grace to use them wisely, and for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment