Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Why I Will Not Vote Romney

I’ve heard the same thing over and over lately, in blog comments and forum threads and facebook discussions and real life conversations and anywhere and everywhere. And I’m sick of it.
Why?  Because it isn’t true, it isn’t logical, and it isn’t wise. To follow it would be an abandonment of principle and a betrayal to my country, and so I refuse to heed it.
It is the notion that we must vote for Romney simply because he purportedly has the best chance of defeating Obama come November. Because our nation “can’t take another four years of Obama.” Because Obama is horrid, and evil, and of course no one wearing a red tie could ever be as bad.
Now don’t get me wrong. I’d never vote for Obama, and I don’t like him any more than you do.  His policies are horrid, he very well might be constitutionally unqualified for office, and he has done dreadful damage to America during the past four years.  I loath the very notion of him getting another four years to wreak havoc on America.
Nevertheless, that does not mean that I will vote for whoever seems to have the best chance at winning.*
Recently, I’ve been discussing this very matter with a friend of mine.  She is in the Romney-because-I’ve-no-other-choice camp, and stated that although Romney’s record isn’t much better than Obama’s, he would likely be more conservative if he were elected.  She believes that Romney would run a more constitutional and conservative administration than Obama, and that Romney’s administration would look a lot different than his current record.
She might be right.  Romney strikes me as someone who is seeking to promote self whenever possible, and if he wanted a second term he just might take a more conservative stance on some issues.
Of course, right now even Clinton’s administration looks conservative when compared to Obama’s.  Hence, it would take very little effort for Romney to seem ultra-conservative, if compared to Obama.  Compare him to any of our founding fathers, however, and the fact that he is radically liberal and unconstitutional quickly becomes evident.
Might he be more conservative than Obama?
Perhaps.
But when his views echo Obama’s, why should we expect it?

Luke 16:10 states that:
“He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much.”
If Romney was not faithful in following the Constitution and Bible while governor, why should we expect him to follow it as President?
After the recent SCOTUS decision on Obamacare, Romney stated that:
“If we want to get rid of Obamacare, we’re going to have to replace President Obama.”
I’d agree. But to replace Obama with the man who made the Obamacare prototype – also known as Romneycare – seems rather stupid. Romney’s new slogan is “Repeal and Replace Obamacare.” My question is, “why on earth would you want to replace it?”  Yikes.
So, while I agree that it is possible that Romney will take a more conservative stance should he be elected, I wouldn’t bet on it.  Especially when the stakes include my country. The land of freedom which was bought at the price of blood.
I know with certainty that he would not reverse America’s slide away from constitutional government, even if he did slow it down slightly.
Furthermore, I don’t respect the man at all. His current stance on all hotly disputed issues seems to be to figure out which way the winds of opinion are blowing and to follow them. He is a chameleon.  If he truly loved his country, it stands to reason that he would have a solid platform, a line in the sand.  Should he run the country the same way he has run his campaign, our nation will be in sad shape indeed.
And now we come to one of my final objections to Romney – the fact that he would put America back to sleep with the deadly lullaby of a red tie.
If Obama has done one good thing during these last four years, it is to waken the American people.  Conservatives are enraged at his policies and actions, and they are fed up with liberals. The sleeping giant has been tyrannized enough, and is beginning to rouse.  Even some liberals are abandoning the democratic party.
But should Romney become president, and great number of Americans will go back to sleep.  They will note the red tie, observe the the ousting of Obama, and then roll over and go back to their lives, thanking God that we have another “wonderful christian republican president.”**
True, there will be some who continue to sound the alarm bells, who stand fast, who echo the words of Patrick Henry.  But I’m afraid that the majority of Americans will assume the crisis is past.
Finally, I must point out the fact that Mitt Romney is not the only option.  Although I don’t agree with Ron Paul on everything, I do believe that he is the only candidate worth casting a vote for.  He has stood firm on his convictions for many years, has upheld the Constitution even when no one else will, and is, so far as I can tell, a true christian and patriot.
I do not believe that our Founding Fathers would have ever voted for Romney. They were willing to give their lives for America, even when she was not yet in existence, even when it seemed a hopeless cause.
Right now, America seems to be faltering under the weight of her chains and loss of her liberties. The poem written by Francis Scott Key during the war of 1812 still seems to be relevant today, although I am not looking for the flag, but the free and the brave.
“O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?”
I’m not sure how many Americans are free or brave anymore.  But I do know that I will not, can not, vote for someone who will, I am convinced, undermine America’s freedom and liberty further.
And that is why I will never vote for Romney.


*Note that I’m not at all convinced that Romney has the ability to defeat Obama.
**The words of one freedom-loving and woefully ignorant American concerning George W. Bush, back in 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment