Friday, January 13, 2012

Friendship

{1} Blest be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love;
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.
{2} Before our Father’s throne
We pour our ardent pray’rs;
Our fears, our hopes, our aims, are one,
Our comforts and our cares.

{3} We share our mutual woes,
Our mutual burdens bear;
And often for each other flows
The sympathizing tear.
{4} When we asunder part,
It gives us inward pain;
But we shall still be joined in heart,
And hope to meet again.
~John Fawcett
The words to this song, specifically the third line of the first verse, really struck me recently.  2011 was a hard year for me & my family in several ways, one of which was a lack of Christian fellowship and community.  I miss the cozy, stimulating feel of a good discussion among like-minded friends, the fun of laughing and crying and debating and praying with and for friends.  The old saying “Absence makes the heart grow fonder” is true in many ways, and I pray that when God brings to us a season where we will be able to experience this again we will not take it for granted.
When God does open up the door for us to taste that sweet delight of fellowship again, I pray that I will have the courage to, as the third stanza speaks of, share and  to sympathize, to hear and to help, to give and to receive.  I don’t want to be superficial, to just chatter.
The aching void that this current lack has created has also forced me to draw nearer to my family, to the occasional friend who I have been able to see, and also to the “friend that sticketh closer than a brother”*.
Not only that, but with the technological world we live in now, I am able to do so much more than I would otherwise be able to.  I can keep up with friends and acquaintances with so much more ease than I otherwise would be able to.  The mere click of a button allows me to share and see thoughts, pictures, videos, and other such things with you and from you.
I do not know why God has not let us experience more of the joys written of in this hymn.  I cannot explain or understand it, but I do know that all thing work for to accomplish His plan.  While I often feel that we have been stranded, I know that somehow, someday, God will work it out for our good, for our benefit, and most of all for His glory.
*Proverbs 18:24b

No comments:

Post a Comment